Candida or candidiasis is an overgrowth of the fungi, Candida albicans – also commonly referred to as yeast infection. These fungi along with certain strains of bacteria normally colonize the mouth, gastrointestinal tract, and vagina of healthy humans. Health concerns arise when the fungi begins to overgrow in the body, causing a variety of symptoms including but not limited to the following:
• Generally feeling of malaise or fatigue when all other causes have been assessed and ruled out
• Vaginal yeast infections: redness, itching, thick white discharge
• Itching around the anus or vaginal area
• Digestive upset such as gas and bloating
• Weakened immunity
There are many things that can predispose someone to an overgrowth of yeast in the body. These include recent or high frequency of antibiotic use, immunodeficiency illnesses, type 2 diabetes (particularly if uncontrolled), a diet high in refined sugars and processed foods, long-term use of corticosteroids, sexual transmission between partners who have not been properly treated for yeast infection, hormone imbalances.
Naturopathic treatment for candida infections includes dietary modifications that focus on eliminating sugar, yeasts, molds and food sensitivities from the diet for a period of at least several weeks. In addition, effective, natural anti-fungal supplements are taken to reduce candida and other fungi in the body. These may be in the form capsules, botanical tincture or suppositories depending on the symptoms picture and history.
Finally, re-inoculation of healthy, probiotic bacteria is an important step in establishing a healthy internal environment for long-term maintenance, proper digestion and immunity. These may be taken as supplements or suppositories or a combination. Topical probiotic cream is also available to sooth irritated, itchy skin.
The following testing options are available to test for yeast/candida overgrowth in the body. Bloodwork is also available to assess for any other possible causes of symptoms.
- Yeast Stool Culture
- Comprehensive Stool analysis: Includes analysis of food breakdown, parasites and presence of yeast instool
- Naturopath intake will also assess symptom picture
- Blood work to assess for any other possible causes of symptoms: May include iron panel, thyroid and vitamin B12 levels in cases of fatigue.
DR CARRIE WATKINS | NATUROPATHIC DOCTOR IN VICTORIA BC
VICTORIA MASSAGE THERAPY AND HEALTH SOLUTIONS CLINIC
645 FORT STREET, SUITE 212
If you are looking to book an appointment in Toronto, Ontario please call 416.738.6757 for Dr Rachel Goldgut